Eduard was born in the Donetsk Region of Ukraine on September 27, 1972. He graduated from the A. Mozhayskiy Military Space Academy, and then the Faculty of Law of the Saint Petersburg University of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia and the Saint Petersburg State University of Engineering and Economics (he has three majors: engineering, law, and economics).
In 1996, Eduard Pichugin began working on developing and implementing real estate and construction projects. The cinema business and industry began to grow in Saint Petersburg three years later – from 1999. Eduard Pichugin’s unique approach to this business turned out to be very successful. His first project was very popular among townspeople - it was the preferred drive-in theater, Fara (Headlights), which continued to operate for almost six years. Almost seventy cars arrived at each movie screening of the Fara drive-in. People were able to watch the movie without leaving their cars.
The first movie theater of the Kronverk Cinema NEO network opened on the Vasilevskiy Island in Saint Petersburg under Eduard Pichugin’s leadership in 2002. The complex is equipped with two movie theaters, a modern Dolby Digital Surround EX system, and a comfortable café.
The next step in developing the cinema network was the opening of Zanevskiy Cascades – a complex with five movie theaters, the first Multiplex in Saint Petersburg (it opened in November, 2003). A few months later, the Zanevskiy Cascades Multiplex was named “Best Movie Theater” of the two major cities. The Kronverk Cinema Company, headed by E. Pichugin, invested in the development of Cineplex complexes, located some distance from the historical city center. The number of modern movie theaters doubled in one day in 2004: KRONVERK CINEMA opened three new complexes: the Akademicheskiy, NorthNord, and Mercury Centers (19 theaters in all). Thus, people living in “bedroom” districts (distant suburbs) were finally able to watch new movies produced by Russian and global cinema industries. KRONVERK CINEMA became the unconditional leader on the film distribution market in Saint Petersburg. Eduard Pichugin was listed among the top 100 best managers in Saint Petersburg by the “Delovoy Peterburg” magazine (Petersburg Business Magazine). In 2005, a professional team, led by E. Pichugin, opened another new Cineplex – Rodeo Drive. This Multiplex was built and inaugurated in all but 55 days! A few months later, the first attraction of its kind opened in this complex – a 4D movie theater. It was then, in 2006, that E. Pichugin became the prize-winner of the V National Award for Achievement in the Cinema Industry.
By 2007, the KRONVERK CINEMA Company owned more than 40% of all the movie theaters in Saint Petersburg. The company decided to attract further investments in order to continue developing the cinema network. Thus, the A1 Company, which is part of the Alpha Group Consortium, became the new owner of KRONVERK CINEMA. This transaction set a major precedent for the Russian business world.
That same year, Eduard Pichugin founded a new company – Cinema Invest – together with the producer, Sergey Selianov. In 2008, the company opened the Kino Center just offat the Altufevskiy Highway in Moscow. Then, a new objective appeared: the development of movie theaters in other Russian regions. The company purchased and renovated an entire network of movie theaters, called Suvar, in Kazan in June, 2008. In 2009, Cinema Invest launched its first Multiplex in Orenburg – KINOFRESH. Two of the nine movie theaters in this complex were designed to operate with digital equipment.
In 2008, Eduard Pichugin along wit the producer, Sergey Selianov, and the director, Feodor Bondarchuk, initiated the KINOCITY Project – a major project aimed at providing movie theaters and facilities in Russian towns and cities. The project includes the construction of multi-media and educational Cineplex Centers in cities with a population of less than 400 thousand people. The first pilot project, the KinoClub of the KINOCITY, opened in Novosibirsk in February, 2010. Novosibirsk will become one of the administration centers for developing a network of multi-media and educational Cineplex Centers in different cities of the Ural and Siberian Federal Districts.
Education, Teaching and Lecturing Experience:
• A. Mozhayskiy Military Space Academy;
• Faculty of Law of the Saint Petersburg University of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia;
• Saint Petersburg State University of Engineering and Economics: Finance and Credit;
• Associate istant Professor at the Faculty of Finance and Banking of the Saint Petersburg State University of Engineering and Economics (ENGECON for short);
• Since 2008, AssociateAssistant Professor at the Faculty of Producer Skills and Management of the All-Russian State University of Cinematography named after S.A. Gerasimov in Moscow (VGIK for short);
• Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Saint Petersburg State University of Cinema and Television.
• At present: Manager of the Federal Project initiated by the YEDYNAYA ROSSIYA Party – KINOCLUB: Culture, Education. Communication.
• Since 2008: Chairman of the Board of Directors of the KINO CITY Group of Companies;
• 2007-2009: Chairman of the Board of Directors of CINEMA INVEST LLC;
• Since 2007: Chairman of the Board of Directors of RosCinemInvest LLC;
• 2001-2007: General Director of EPOS LLC, the company operating managing the KRONVERK CINEMA network;
• Since: Chairman of the Board of Directors of RosBusinessResource OJSC;
• 2001-2006: Project manager of Bankirskiy Dom CJSC in Saint Petersburg (Banking House CJSC);
• 1996-2001: General Director of the Russian Multi-Market Company CJSC;
• Since 1996, E. Pichugin has been involved in developing and introducing different projects in real estate and construction fields, including construction, re-construction, and real estate management. All these fields were also applied to the cinema industry, where E. Pichugin continued to work with unique and innovative solutions.